Reading …why we should do more of it!

Posted on in LIFESTYLE & #LETGO with 49 Comments

Reading a book with a cup of tea

We’ve just started a book club at Sanctuary (please join!) so we thought we’d list the spirit lifting, kindness making, mind boosting, and health giving benefits of picking up a good read.

• It makes us cleverer. For children studies show it helps lengthen attention spans and helps them think more clearly.  We think the same applies to adults too.

• It makes us kinder.  It can transport us out of our comfort zone to different situations and cultures, which helps us to empathise with others.

• It de-stresses us. The Huffington Post says research conducted in 2009 at the University of Sussex showed that reading was the most effective way to overcome stress, beating out old favourites such as enjoying a cup of tea or even taking a walk. Book clubs also create a feeling of social belonging and forge friendships, both of which are great ways to destress.

• It can boost our brain health. Reading can help prevent brain ageing, with studies suggesting a slower memory decline in avid readers.

If you would like to be part of our book club please comment below. We will be choosing 3 people at the end of April to read and review ‘Balancing Act’ by Joanna Trollope

Balancing Act book by Joanna Trollope

You might also like…

5 instant happiness boosts Fit and toned in minutes Darcey Bussell Behind the Bathroom Door

Related Posts

Tags: , , , , ,

If you enjoyed this article, subscribe now to receive more just like it.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

49 Comments

Trackback URL Comments RSS Feed

1. Bettina Hunt says:

I love reading and would very much like to be part of the book club

2. stacy says:

I love how reading a back makes you feel like you jump out of your hard world into a whole new world for as many pages as you like.

3. Khadija says:

I hope I become a book reviewer. I love reading!

4. ElizaM says:

I’ve signed up to read and review… Now it’s up to you.

5. Amanda says:

I simply adore reading! I get so involved, I feel like I am being transported to a whole new world! I would adore to be apart of Sanctuary’s book club!

6. Would love to be part of the book club. Am a bit of a book worm.

7. Alison Bean says:

My new year resolution was to read more this year and I have started off well. I love the escape of reading and also being able to discuss with others who have read the book too different viewpoints.

8. Melanie Skinner says:

I love reading and I would love to be in your book club!

9. Anna says:

I’m interested!

10. Sue Stafford says:

I love reading and agree it is the ultimate way to destress, especially with a coffee

11. Claudett Wynter says:

Reading was my passion, though I have found I have slowed down somewhat over tha past year. Really looking forward to reconnecting again!

12. Karen says:

I am currently competing with my teenage daughter, to see how many books we can read by the end of the month. Taking part in the book club will be a welcome intermission.

13. Lynne Hurst says:

I love reading and would really enjoy being part of this. I have recently stopped working full time and so have more time to read for pleasure.

14. Abbie Pustkowski says:

Would love to do a review of this! 🙂

15. Daniel Gooding says:

I’m always looking for an excuse to read something new – actually that’s not true, I never need an excuse…

16. Kat says:

Self confessed book nerd and proud!

17. Sharon Harriott says:

I used to be such a bookworm – but struggle now. would be great to get back into it again. Maybe i should join your book club! 🙂

18. Julie Sheridan says:

Reading is the ultimate Great Escape. There is nothing like discovering an engaging and interesting book that will have you turning pages to find out what happens next. It is the ultimate de stressor as you are taken far out of your own life into someone else’s story.

19. Frances Lewis says:

Reviewing a book would mean that I could dedicate time to read without feeling that I should be doing something else! 🙂

20. I’m a busy mum of two little boys, please let me join your book club so I have a reason to relax and not feel guilty for putting my feet up for 10 minutes every day. =)

21. Siddharth S Kale says:

Even I m fond of reading and also m always in searching latest/new words and phrases.

22. Helen says:

I love reading and would love to be part of the book club what better way to distress than losing yourself in a book at the end oft he day

23. Julie Waller says:

Brilliant idea – I am an avid reader and love Joanna Trollope’s books, have read all of hers so far and would love to read this one.

24. Jennifer Beesly says:

I totally agree with the benefits you mention, I always feel more relaxed & invigorated after reading & read constantly to my son who is just 2. In fact I have read to him since the day he was born. I’d like to be part of your book club. Thank you.

25. Brian Balmer says:

I love to read all genres of books. I also enjoy recommending books that other people should read. Books have not only the ability to transport you somewhere else but also to become someone else. I’m currently Jim Hawkins thanks to Silver by Andrew Motion.

26. Brian Balmer says:

Also, I would love to join your book club!

27. Susan Bicknell says:

I would like to join your book club
    I have recently read The Railway Man (now a film) which was a moving story of the Japanese Prisoner of War camps. I am now reading another true stoy of a shepardess

28. etna velautham says:

I have never joined a book club though I have been tempted to several times. I am carer for my disabled son and have my days ‘free’ as he is at school. I am hopeless at public speaking but can write well and would love to join a book club from the comforts of my armchair and computer.

29. Tomi Sogbade says:

I used to read a lot some years back. But the strain of work and family has greatly impacted on this hobby of mine. I hope joining the club will help get me back on track. Hoping I can read at my pace for now.

30. Sharon says:

I love book clubs. As the daughter of a bookshop owner I do nothing but read. How can I join?

31. judi says:

I’m retired now and I love to read. Yes I would like to join the reading clib

32. Clare Kennedy says:

I love reading it provides a complete escape from reality and in turn helps me to de stress

33. elizabeth jones says:

I like to read biographies and autobiographies – has anyone read steve jobs biography?

34. Lisa says:

Book club – yes please. I am part of one, but I think it’s mostly only me who actually reads! Would be great to be part of one with people genuinely interested

35. Patricia Coogan says:

I’ve just finished third year History and as soon as I finished I started reading for luxury again! I’d love to be a part of the book club.

36. Annette Cowley says:

I read during my break at work. Sneaking off to another world is my secret pleasure. It helps me de – stress. I also try and read the books my daughter has in her book club which helps makes the distance between us shrink.

37. Sue says:

I love reading because it’s an escape into another world and helps me totally switch off from mine. And then, usually, I’m glad to be back in mine by comparison .

In a book club you hear others’ reactions and interpretations which give new insights into books and in turn new ways of viewing the world. It’s fascinating how we all take different things from the same book

38. shelley says:

I read every day without fail, as does my 8 year old. Even when exhausted and just back from an army exercise I read before going to sleep. It is such a fabulous way to enter ones imaginationa nd to switch off from the world before switching off the lamp and closing ones eyes. What a wonderful and indulgent pasttime.

39. rita barter says:

I am an avid reader and a book club sounds really good.

40. moji says:

I would love to be in your book club ’cause I really want to improve in my reading habit.

41. Amy Coombs says:

I would like to be added to the book club please.

42. Sam House says:

I love reading, I read a book a week and like any genres. I have always been a bookworm, reading a book with a coffee and a box of chocolates is my ‘me’ time and relaxes me. I would love to be part of sanctuary’s book club. Thanks x

43. Jane Keles says:

I love reading

44. Kate Lamb says:

I read endlessly but generally the same genre – murder/mysteries.
    I’d like the opportunity to explore new reading avenues

45. Cynthia Cabaniss says:

I would love to join the Sanctuary book club.

46. Martine johnson says:

I have two amazing girls who I always encourage to read when really I need encouraging myself. As a child my nose was always stuck in a book – help me get back there please 🙂

47. suzann says:

I would lo e to join your book club